Topic: Lovis Corinth

First, in the attached image, there seem to be several misspelled words. Is this intentional? The first should be "Calla Lilies and Lilacs...", and the second "Chrysanthemums and Callas". Right? The detail pages have the same misspellings.

Second, Conrad Ansorge at the Piano (1912), looks like a bouquet of roses. I Googled the image and the name looking for an explanation. Without success.

Any light you could shed on these two items would be appreciated.

Post's attachments

Corinth.jpg
Corinth.jpg 41.63 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Lovis Corinth

frtg1944 wrote:

First, in the attached image, there seem to be several misspelled words. Is this intentional? The first should be "Calla Lilies and Lilacs...", and the second "Chrysanthemums and Callas". Right? The detail pages have the same misspellings.

Second, Conrad Ansorge at the Piano (1912), looks like a bouquet of roses. I Googled the image and the name looking for an explanation. Without success.

Any light you could shed on these two items would be appreciated.

Hello frtg1944,
I corrected the errors you spotted.
For the wrong image, you can ask rocsdad by MP to upload the proper picture, but I'm not sure he still have it as it dates from 7 years.

Josselin

Hi there frtg1944,
     Thank you for the note. Our site is built from user submissions using web forms, and sometimes people miskey things or just make a plain mistake. I'm not sure I could spell chrysanthemum correctly if put on the spot!

Regarding the strangely titled Corinth, I don't have an explanation. I searched by image and found it is titled "Roses," so I fixed it. There is a painting out there called "Conrad Ansorge at the Piano," but it's by Max Slevogt. I added a record for that artwork here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=106683

As a side note, many different web sites steal records from ours, and sometimes it's funny to catch them red-handed. If you search for "conrad ansorge at the piano" and the word "lovis" you will find literally HUNDREDS of sites who have done this (i.e., they have the image of roses).

frtg1944, since you have joined the site, you can actually edit the artworks and correct mistakes as you see them. Or you can notify us in this forum and we'll fix them.

Thanks,
Chris

It's funny to see that all those websites also reproduce typing errors. Thus, a Turner's painting, formerly named here "Sun Rising through Vagour; Fishermen Cleaning and Sellilng Fish" (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=21433), is now reproduced in many sites with the two misspellings in the title, whereas it wasn't a big deal to spot and correct them... :-)