1 (edited by Josselin 2013-09-09 12:44:20)

Topic: Displaying artists and artworks lists

Hello Chris,

I'm thinking on a better way to display artworks, especially for artists who have more than one hundred works listed. To find an artwork for Renoir or Boudin can indeed be long with the "ctrl+F" tool.

To take a good example, I really like the way Christie's displays the works in its online catalogues: you can choose between seeing them by "list", "grid" (thumbnails) or by "lots". It could be interesting to do the same and display artworks by "grid" of about 500 of them per page.
Moreover, I'd like to have the possibility of moving from one lot to another (with previous-next buttons) without opening a new page at each time, as Sotheby's and Christies do.

I know that you are busy with the server right now, but maybe you can just add some two quick new features:
- adding pages buttons at the end of the list of artworks, because when you are in the bottom of the page, you have to scroll back to the top to go in page two.
- displaying an artwork in a preview page like autoportraits on an artist's page. We therefore can better see the painting with its properties without loading a new page.

Josselin.

Re: Displaying artists and artworks lists

I definitely want to improve artwork lists. My main thinking has been:

1. Create a "sticky" header that "follows" you down the page like we have on the counts pages: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/counts … au&m=a (let the page finish loading and then scroll. The top part should stay with you, so the shortcuts are always available).

2. Alternate ways of viewing the list. Right now we have a list that is "rows, with image and detailed information". I'd like to add "simple text list with no images, but pop-up image preview" which would load faster and take up less screen space, so we could quickly load the 1600+ works we have for Munch, for example.  I also want some kind of "visual grid with pop-up data preview," sort of like Google image search, or like here: http://testing14server.jimdo.com/demo/masonry-plugin/

3. Right now we have a site-wide search bar, but maybe within lists we can have a "list search" bar, too? Then you could search for a Renoir that's on page 11 without having to go to the page, or having to search the whole web site...

The challenge with loading 500 images per page is that if each image is 20 kb (pretty small), then you'd have one web page that's 1MB of just images! That's huge; it would take forever to load. I have some ideas on how to deal with this, but I'm not likely to have so many images on one page very soon.

As for a "previous or next artwork" idea, I like the idea when you are looking at a single artwork by an artist; it's just more of a "luxury" feature that I rate as a low priority. Plus we'd also have to decide "previous" and "next" by which aspect - alphabetical title, or date, or something else? It would be nice, but it's probably a later feature.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,
Chris

chris_mccormick wrote:

The challenge with loading 500 images per page is that if each image is 20 kb (pretty small), then you'd have one web page that's 1MB of just images! That's huge; it would take forever to load. I have some ideas on how to deal with this, but I'm not likely to have so many images on one page very soon.

Maybe you can add a feature to let the user choose how many artworks he wants to be displayed on the page 100-200-500-all?
It's true that I don't want to load a 1MB page on my cell-phone, but I can easy do it with my computer.

4 (edited by Josselin 2013-09-02 12:03:33)

Hello Chris,

The artists list is growing very fast and now hosts 5,756 names. It takes quite a long time to display them all. Maybe you can sort them on two columns rather than only one in order to hasten the loading time.

Josselin

Hello Chris,

Maybe you could display artworks by medium on the artist page, as you did for the museums in the "Art" tab.
Therefore, I will be able to see with a quick glance which artworks have missing properties (as they should be listed under "medium unknown").
Josselin

==COMPLETED== [Chris]

6 (edited by Josselin 2014-02-07 06:57:29)

Chris,
Could you add the possibility to sort artists by birthdate in the general list (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/counts … cd&m=a)?

Josselin

==COMPLETED== [Chris]

Artists are sorted by "Last name, First name" in the list for 'connecting to an image of this person', but the dropdown menu displays names as "first name last name". It is therefore impossible to type the first letters of the family name to get the entry we want, and we thus have to search for a name in the nearly 7000 lines of the drop-down menu. It would be far better to display names as "Last name, First name".

Josselin wrote:

Artists are sorted by "Last name, First name" in the list for 'connecting to an image of this person', but the dropdown menu displays names as "first name last name". It is therefore impossible to type the first letters of the family name to get the entry we want, and we thus have to search for a name in the nearly 7000 lines of the drop-down menu. It would be far better to display names as "Last name, First name".

Hello Josselin,
   I've fixed this, and cleaned up a couple of other things on that page.

- Chris

Chris,
There is a minor problem with artistic dynasties, because the list sorts their members by their first name, whereas I think it would be better - and less confusing - to display them chronologically.
Example with the Van Loo dynasty: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/search.php … ds=van+Loo

Maybe you could modify the code for sorting names, telling it to display same named artists by their birth date first.

In the future, perhaps you could also implement the "super-museum" feature on artists, thus we'll be able to create a void entry with just the genealogical tree of the family. Some dynasties are especially prolific, such as the Van de Veldes or the Tischbeins.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Vel … A9alogique
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tischbein … familie%29