126 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-11-04 14:57:10)

Re: bugs with museums

Josselin wrote:
kohn1fox wrote:

The Hermitage in Saint Petersburg has been renamed in it's proper title 'The State Hermitage Museum' .  The alphabetical listing is therefore shown under 'T' but the site identifies 'Hermitage' when entered under an artwork.

I put back 'Hermitage Museum', because the dropdown menu doesn't list it if you just type 'Hermitage' in the search box; it only lists the Hermitage in Norfolk and Switzerland.

I'm happy to accept your explanation and to reinstate the title but it is actually incorrect;  the same applies to other State museums in the Russian Federation.

However if one types in 'Hermitage' it will find it under The State .....  Same applies to the State Russian Museum.

I don't tend to use a drop down list as it is now too exhaustive.  I type in a search word in the title and it will find it.  Example: natgalscot will bring up the National Gallery of Scotland.

kohn1fox wrote:
Josselin wrote:
kohn1fox wrote:

The Hermitage in Saint Petersburg has been renamed in it's proper title 'The State Hermitage Museum' .  The alphabetical listing is therefore shown under 'T' but the site identifies 'Hermitage' when entered under an artwork.

I put back 'Hermitage Museum', because the dropdown menu doesn't list it if you just type 'Hermitage' in the search box; it only lists the Hermitage in Norfolk and Switzerland.

I'm happy to accept your explanation and to reinstate the title but it is actually incorrect;  the same applies to other State museums in the Russian Federation.

However if one types in 'Hermitage' it will find it under The State .....  Same applies to the State Russian Museum.

I don't tend to use a drop down list as it is now too exhaustive.  I type in a search word in the title and it will find it.  Example: natgalscot will bring up the National Gallery of Scotland.

I switched it back to the 'State Hermitage...' and added 'Hermitage Museum' in the alternate name.

I have combined the college collections of London University to a new museum entry - 'University of London' (with a note indicating which college).  I see no point in creating separate London University college collections, which belong to London University. Holloway College and Uni of Roehampton should be removed from the drop-down list (they no longer appear in the listing of museums).

I am trying to remove some of the obsolete and duplicated museum entries. 

I have replaced the commercial ad with a Venetian church:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2686

But could not remove the original logo (for the commercial enterprise) and had to insert the artwork.

How does one remove a logo?  If you know please do it.

All now replaced.

Good job, but some already existed:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2694
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2482

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=749
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2449

Sorted.

To Irene/Rocsdad:

A large number of British Embassies/High Commissions were created for artworks.  All the works belong to the Government Art Collection - UK and not the individual embassies.

Heads of Missions for British Embassies/High Commissions may select artworks from the Government collection to display (usually in the Residences) for the duration of their tenure in office, after which the incoming Head may decide if he/she wishes to retain the work or have it sent back to London.  These are moved around according to the wishes of the Heads of Missions.

I have therefore transferred the artworks (nearly all by British artists) to the correct collection:  Government Art Collection - UK.

The embassy entries should be removed to avoid errors in the future.

All paintings that belong to the York City Trust are shown under York Museums Trust rather than York Art Gallery (they may not be located in the art gallery but in other locations indicated on the Trust page).

It is best that all future works are put under the York Trust holding.

The Tate paintings are not listed under which museum.  The Tate in London loans artworks to Liverpool and St Ives.  Artworks advertised are generally said to belong to only the Tate.   However all modern (20th/21st century) FOREIGN artworks should be placed under TATE MODERN and all artworks by British artists, from 14th century to present day, should be entered under TATE BRITAIN.

I have transferred those 'modern' art works by foreign artists to TATE MODERN.

IF ANYONE READS THESE MESSAGES??!!

kohn1fox wrote:

The Tate paintings are not listed under which museum.  The Tate in London loans artworks to Liverpool and St Ives.  Artworks advertised are generally said to belong to only the Tate.   However all modern (20th/21st century) FOREIGN artworks should be placed under TATE MODERN and all artworks by British artists, from 14th century to present day, should be entered under TATE BRITAIN.

I have transferred those 'modern' art works by foreign artists to TATE MODERN.

IF ANYONE READS THESE MESSAGES??!!

Yes I read them. smile

I also remarked that the Tate doesn't tell where its artworks are, but the dependencies in Liverpool and St Ives are only exhibition galleries.

I have transferred the 7 artworks under South Bank Centre to Arts Council (UK) as this is the same.  I have renamed Arts Council - 'Arts Council at the South Bank Centre'

I have renamed 'Borough Museum' (incorrect) to 'London South Bank University Sarah Rose Collection A David Bomberg Legacy'.  The University building is located in Borough Road.  That is not the name of the 'museum'.