Topic: 2014 Site Updates

List of site updates in 2014:

2014.May.18  - New feature: Added page listing female artists
                      - The museums counts page now labels multiple-listed museums with extra detail
                      - Bug fix: Fixed a sorting issue on the counts page with accented first characters.
2014.May.16  - Bug fix: The "add a museum" page now works when no nation is entered for the museum.
                      - Added museum city to artwork detail pages
                      - Updated person detail page to show museum primary name (instead of old name) and nation/city.
                      - Updated the "add an artwork" page to allow entry of artist modifiers.
                      - The search page now shows the alternate name for a person if that's how they were found.
                         Example.

2014.May.11  - Thorough rewrite of the page for adding and editing Glossary terms. It should be a "modern" Athenaeum page now, with adding/editing in a single page, accepting unusual characters, logging adds and edits to the stream of site updates, etc.

2014.May.09  Updated all front page banners

2014.April       Very busy with move back to the United States from England. No major work done.

2014.Mar.25    - Design: On several more pages, museums now display with their nation and city (if available)
                      - Design: Updated and unified the scripts for adding and editing museums, including Redactor box for styled text. Adding logos is now easier as well.
                       - New feature: Museums can now have up to three names, and will be listed under each of those names across the site.

2014.Mar.18    - Design: Several updated banners on the front page
                        - Minor feature: Artwork materials now includes "Painting - oil on paper" and "Painting - oil on copper"
                        - Bug fix: Sculptors should now have the "Add an artwork" link on their detail pages.

2014.Mar.17    - Design: The museum listing page now shows the country and city for museums

2014.Feb.11    - New feature: The Site Status page now shows a much more detailed "stream" of exactly which items have been added and edited over the last 24 hours and the past 7 days.

2014.Feb.10    - Design: Updated form for editing art movements, and added Redactor for text styling in the description.

2014.Feb.09    - Bug fix: Now when a member adds a new person/museum/artwork, it is correctly recorded in their Recent Activity.
                      - New feature: In a member's Recent activity (on the member profile page), the most recently-added 20 artworks will show a thumbnail.
                      - New feature: The window for editing a person now uses Redactor for easy text styling.
                      - New feature: The counts page for artists (i.e., click "By artist" on the home page) now allows sorting by the birth date of the artist.

2014.Feb.07     - New feature: Member profile pages now have a "Recent activity" tab with basic details of recent additions and edits.

2014.Feb.05     - Design: Updated years in the page footer.
                       - Design: Replaced two artist banners on the front page.
                       - New feature: List of top artworks by page views: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/popular.php
                       - New feature: Basic tracking of edit counts by members on the front page.

2014.Jan.23     - New feature: Artworks can now be listed with "modifiers" to the artist, like "Workshop of", "Follower of", etc. This is working in the edit pages, but not yet in the page for adding a new artwork.

2014.Jan.15     - Design: New front page banner for 130,000 artworks.

2014.Jan.13     - New feature: Person records can now store uncertain ("circa") birth and death dates.

2014.Jan.09     - Bug fix: Apostrophes will now work in several museum data fields.
                        - Bug fix: Fixed a strange, rare bug with an artwork mistakenly having another artwork's full-sized image as its thumbnail. I only found two cases of this on the whole site. See original report here.
                        - Design: Added a new front page banner for Corrado Giaquinto.

2014.Jan.08     - Design: Cleaned up display formatting on the person list page.

2014.Jan.07     - Design: Updated front page banners.
                        - Design: Updated page number highlighting in artwork lists.

2014.Jan.06     - New feature: Person records can now store the sex of the person (male/female).
                        - Design: A number of small fixes to header/title alignments and height of the links bar.
                        - Design: Changed header image on some pages to have grey background.
                        - Bug fix: Apostrophes no longer break the search box.

Re: 2014 Site Updates

chris_mccormick wrote:

- Bug fix: Apostrophes no longer break the search box.

Hello Chris,

This bug still occurs for apostrophes in the name of museums. See here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/forum/view … 1227#p1227

Thanks Josselin. So far I have only fixed the "apostrophe bug" in the search box. I'll get the museum entry/editing bug fixed this evening. In general, I am working my way forward in time through the various forum threads, fixing all outstanding issues I see. I'll keep posting the updates in this thread.

Thanks as always for your thoroughness!

Hello Josselin,
      Adding or editing museum records now works with apostrophes in the name, city, affiliation, and description fields.

chris_mccormick wrote:

Hello Josselin,
      Adding or editing museum records now works with apostrophes in the name, city, affiliation, and description fields.

It still doesn't work for this museum: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2407
The correct name is: "Musée d'Histoire de la médecine - Paris", but it refuses to put the apostrophe.

Fixed it. Was a problem with the address updating from Google Maps and having apostrophes as well. I was able to update your example (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2407); please let me know if you find any other examples where it's not working.

7 (edited by Josselin 2014-01-09 20:59:35)

chris_mccormick wrote:

Fixed it. Was a problem with the address updating from Google Maps and having apostrophes as well. I was able to update your example (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2407); please let me know if you find any other examples where it's not working.

I was able to update another museum so the problem is now solved. Thanks.

8 (edited by Josselin 2014-02-05 15:40:10)

Chris,
Maybe you could put your to-do list in a thread next to this one, with the level of priority and/or accomplishment.

Sorry for all these posts, but I'm on fire today! :-)

Josselin

9 (edited by Josselin 2014-04-06 15:05:59)

Chris,
It seems that many member accounts have vanished recently. I remember to have seen the count above 10,000 on the 'What's new' page and now it only displays "699 members".

Hello Josselin,
    I periodically clean out spam accounts. I have a script that checks a lot of things before deleting an account ("Did they ever upload an artowkr/person/museum?" "Did they ever post on the forums?"), and then I remove all which are not truly active ever year or so. That's why the count went down.

11 (edited by Josselin 2014-06-02 07:28:52)

chris_mccormick wrote:
List of site updates in 2014:

2014.May.18  - New feature: Added page listing female artists
                      - The museums counts page now labels multiple-listed museums with extra detail

Chris,

Can you please update the list of museums in the 'nation' page to show alternate names for museums?
Like this one: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/nations/detail.php?id=88

I think you should also show the artist gender in the artist list, because I currently have to open each page to see if the gender field has been updated. It can either be a gender symbol or a different font colour.