Topic: Source/Photographer

Hello, I think an attribute for the Source/Photographer of an image is missing. This is standard today at wikipedia.

Re: Source/Photographer

Hello Michael,
I don't think we need this feature for 2 dimensional works, but it should indeed be implemented for 3D works, such as statues. I'm starting to take pictures of sculptures in museums in order to post them on the site when this improvement is done (as well as the several images per artwork function). We will therefore have free pictures of 3D works, as Wikipedia does.

Josselin

This is a sensitive topic, and here's why:

Even when we are fairly confident that we are using an image legally, others may disagree, or try to fight us. For example, a photograph of a Van Eyck painting is absolutely in the public domain - the concept of copyright didn't even exist back then! But if we reference exactly which book a scan was taken from (or which museum web site), they could still claim copyright even if that's baseless. Someone could maliciously take us to court just to bleed us of money, EVEN IF THEY KNOW THEY ARE WRONG.

I think listing the sources of images is therefore a bit risky. Clearly Wikipedia does this, but they are a nonprofit foundation with resources we don't have.

Eventually I need to add tools to work with photographs, and then add a way for someone to authorise us to use photographs which the member took themselves (Josselin's example). Once we have a way for someone to say "This is my photograph, I took it, and I explicitly authorise The Athenaeum to use it," we'll have a nice way to get many more photos, especially of 3D objects and architecture. Unfortunately, getting all of that set up is a big piece of work and not at the top of my list right now. But if it's very important to our major contributors, it could be moved up!

Hope that helps,
Chris

Chris/Josselin

I was interested to read what was said about the possibility of introducing architecture to this website in the future.  I didn't think how it would sit in the context of the web's coverage.  Architecture happens to be my major interest (more so than the subjects on Athenaeum) and I have hundreds of photos that I have taken.  I travel considerably (I leave for northern France in June and will be coverning many historical sites etc).

Just to say that if you do include another dimension in architecture (presumably from ancient to modern as with  paintings etc) to keep us informed.  I already have an enormous number of excellent photos throughout Europe and beyond (China for example) which I am happy to download if necessary on some future occasion. 

Graham

kohn1fox wrote:

Chris/Josselin

I was interested to read what was said about the possibility of introducing architecture to this website in the future.  I didn't think how it would sit in the context of the web's coverage.  Architecture happens to be my major interest (more so than the subjects on Athenaeum) and I have hundreds of photos that I have taken.  I travel considerably (I leave for northern France in June and will be coverning many historical sites etc).

Just to say that if you do include another dimension in architecture (presumably from ancient to modern as with  paintings etc) to keep us informed.  I already have an enormous number of excellent photos throughout Europe and beyond (China for example) which I am happy to download if necessary on some future occasion. 

Graham

I agree that adding architecture is interesting, but I think we first need to be able to link several images and creators for one artwork. We will therefore have a new category of artists - ie. architects.