Re: bugs with museums

A similar problem to the above concerns Dresden.  The Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Dresden contains old masters to end 18th century.  The Galerie Neue Meister - Dresden is for works from the start of the 19th century.  I have transferred several artworks from the Alte to the Neue.

Please try to select the correct museum as otherwise information is misleading.

kohn1fox wrote:

The Staatliche Museen Kassel is the administrative title for a collection of museums.  Old master works have been transferred to its preferable title of Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel (in the same format as that in Dresden). 

Many of the works entered under the Kassel museum belong to the Gemaldegalerie Berlin and were inadvertently placed in Kassel.  I believe the confusion was due to the same name (Staatliche Museen etc). These have now been transferred to Berlin.

All future old master paintings for Kassel should be entered under Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel. 

19th century works in Kassel should be placed in the Neue Galerie - Kassel.

The German museum system is very complicate and many artworks on the site are not allocated in their correct museum. There are a lot of confusions between the Gemaldegalerie and the Staatliche Museen of Berlin, and between the Gemaldegaleries of Berlin and Dresde.

Josselin wrote:
kohn1fox wrote:

The Staatliche Museen Kassel is the administrative title for a collection of museums.  Old master works have been transferred to its preferable title of Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel (in the same format as that in Dresden). 

Many of the works entered under the Kassel museum belong to the Gemaldegalerie Berlin and were inadvertently placed in Kassel.  I believe the confusion was due to the same name (Staatliche Museen etc). These have now been transferred to Berlin.

All future old master paintings for Kassel should be entered under Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel. 

19th century works in Kassel should be placed in the Neue Galerie - Kassel.

The German museum system is very complicate and many artworks on the site are not allocated in their correct museum. There are a lot of confusions between the Gemaldegalerie and the Staatliche Museen of Berlin, and between the Gemaldegaleries of Berlin and Dresde.

I was wondering whether it was in the best interests to leave Kassel as is (it is not a large collection), but if we are to allocate works to museums, it is probably best to name the collection properly.  Wikipedia tends to use both names but I think the Staatliche Museen is outdated.

I have visited all the Berlin museums and they are clearly demarcated between the Gemaldegalerie, Alte National Gallery, Bode Museum etc etc. 

The useage of Staatliche Museen I think is a remnant from after the war when Germany (and German works) was in turmoil.

There is a problem when one edits a museum and submits, it throws one out and back to the home page without accepting the edit.  It appears to have been modified and now doesn't work!

kohn1fox wrote:

There is a problem when one edits a museum and submits, it throws one out and back to the home page without accepting the edit.  It appears to have been modified and now doesn't work!

Chris,

I wanted to distinguish Newport Art Museum (in the USA) from Newport (UK) but the link doesn't allow me to add - Rhode Island in the title of the museum.

I was unable to establish which Newport from the dropdown list when entering a work.  I did think it was Newport in the US since the name is 'art museum' and the UK doesn't use that name.

But the link for editing doesn't work currently.

Hello Graham,
     I believe I've fixed the issue - I was able to edit the Newport Art Museum and change the name. Please let me know if you run into other bugs.

Thanks,
Chris

57 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-20 12:51:17)

The page for creating a museum doesn't work (the name of the museum disappears). I have to edit and enter again the information. The pages for creating and editing a museum should also be merged (idem for artists).

The Google Maps feature seems to have been disabled by the new museums scripts.

Josselin wrote:

The Google Maps feature seems to have been disabled by the new museums scripts.

It's ok. Google Map doesn't detect automatically the address, we need now to paste the name of the museum in the address box. It's better this way.

The link 'List all museums' at the top of this page doesn't work:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/add_1.php

60 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-03-22 03:18:27)

Chris,

The museum edit.  When one edits a museum title it accepts it but fails to correct all the listings for that title. 

Example:

Biblioteque Nationale de France - Paris is misspelt.  It should be Bibliothèque Nationale de France - Paris.  This amendment is accepted on the museum page but doesn't appear when one returns to the art page.

The amended title also doesn't appear in the museums dropdown list.

62 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-03-22 10:41:06)

The entry page for museums has changed and is now not accepting a new museum entry.  I have tried several attempts to open a new 'museum'-  'Institut de France - Paris'  but it keeps declining.

I have entered the primary language as French and added the English translation (which is optional), but there is a message which seems to refer to an existing entry.  But I have been unable to find it!

The former 'museum' page was simple and usually worked but now I think too much detail has been created in the functionality.  I am starting to think this is a backward step.

Help!!

On the above topic I am not too happy with an ownership category, 'Unknown'.  This tends to attract an enormous number of entries (not mine) whose whereabouts are probably in either an established institution (museum, gallery, religious edifice, academy etc) or in private hands.

I question whether we could have a 'blank' ownership window for us to enter a name that is not already in the system and doesn't warrant its own museum page.  The above Institut is a good example.

There are numerous 'museum' entries that have one item only.  These could still be given their appropriate location when uploading the information but the name could then appear under a category/collective title, such as 'miscellaneous owners' (these could then be listed alphabetically in the museum index perhaps).

To place an item under 'Unknown' seems irrelevant but if this is the case it is probably in private hands (with no public access or the owner wishes to remain anonymous) or it is a recorded artwork but its present location is not known?    If the latter then that should be explained in the description - 'whereabouts currently unknown'

In respect of the Institut de France - Paris it probably doesn't justify its own museum entry, so this is a good contender for the name to be inserted as a one-off and listed under 'miscellaneous owners'

Any thoughts on this?

64 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-22 11:10:40)

kohn1fox wrote:

The entry page for museums has changed and is now not accepting a new museum entry.  I have tried several attempts to open a new 'museum'-  'Institut de France - Paris'  but it keeps declining.

I have entered the primary language as French and added the English translation (which is optional), but there is a message which seems to refer to an existing entry.  But I have been unable to find it!

The former 'museum' page was simple and usually worked but now I think too much detail has been created in the functionality.  I am starting to think this is a backward step.

Help!!

I agree that I don't understand the use of "Primary name for sorting". Museums aren't like artists and don't have first and family names, so I think there is no need to invert them for sorting. People say "Musée d'Orsay" and would search at "musée" once they have seen that all museums are sorted by their full name. In France, we usually say "Orsay", but as a nickname only.
Another example with the "Musée des Beaux-Arts - Bordeaux", people from Bordeaux would say "les Beaux-Arts" to speak of their museum, while the other French would say "Musée de Bordeaux"; in both cases, they wouldn't put the name of the town in the first place.
I will replace the hyphens by "de".

Would it be possible to add a little flag of the museum's nationality next to its name in the list? It would be visually more pleasant. Then, if you create pages to display museums by country, you could do the same for the American states.

65 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-22 11:22:50)

There also should be an "add a museum" button on the top of the list (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/counts … ou&m=o). It's boring to go back on the home page each time I want to add a museum.

I have the same problem as Graham, the name of a museum displayed in the list cannot be changed. I stop my edits for the moment.

Hello Josselin,
    I believe I fixed the error you noted with the museum index (I removed the post because of the database details). You should not have any more problems entering museums, but please let me know if you do.

I'm looking at the other items now.

I added a link to the museum listing to Add a Museum.

I also changed the listing of museums in the page for adding an artwork:
- The nation and city are now displayed
- Museums with multiple names are listed under each name (example - museum record 2641 is listed twice under "
Eglise St-Vincent-de-Paul" and "Church of St Vincent de Paul"

I changed the museum listing page so that museums with multiple names are listed under each name.

I changed the artwork detail page to use the new Primary Name field instead of the old Name field. Graham, this is why when you changed the Primary Name, it wasn't showing correctly on the artwork page - that page was still looking at the old name field. That's fixed now.

I changed the page that lists artworks for a specific museum so that it's now using the Primary Name.

I changed the detail page for an individual nation so that the artwork tab now lists museums with all of their names, and shows the city, and shows the number of artworks with a linke to the museum artwork list.

Regarding sorting names - I will do as you request - no sorting name. I thought that since we have almost 200 museums that start with "Musee" or "Musée", users of the site would find it more convenient to look for the unique part of the name if they are visually sorting through the list. The intent was not to *show* the sort name - we would show the Primary Name, but use the sorting name to place the museum in the list - hence the Musée d'Orsay would be placed in the "O" section for Orsay instead of the large list of Musées, but the listing would still say "Musée d'Orsay".

I'll leave it as it is, however. After all, the list is more for "browsing" through everything we have than for "searching" - the search box is much faster for that.

Thanks Chris, it looks better now.

I still found a new bug: the name of a newly created museum doesn't appear in the artwork description and in "the what's new?" page.
Example here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=137168
The museum is there: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2674

Thanks Chris.  It all sounds rather confusing but no doubt it will fall into place as and when I work through the web.  I found the same problem as Joseelin above with 'Tate - Modern'  (it doesn't show the name on the art page but only the icon, but it does in the listings).

Graham and Josselin,
    I fixed the museum names in the "What's new?" page. I also fixed the museum sometimes not showing up on the artwork page (it was a separate piece of code for museums without web links filled in).

For something so fundamental as museums, it just takes a while to find all of the different pieces of code on all of the pages where museums are listed. But the hard part is done! :-)  Now museums are find-able and listed under multiple names, as long as we fill in the blanks.

Next up (apart from fixing any other bugs you find with museum names):
1. I'll start changing most pages to refer to the artwork "Location" instead of the "Museum"
2. I'll add a new field to track what kind of location the record is, so that we can note whether something is a "museum," "church," etc.
3. I'll work on some scripts to create/edits museum groups
4. I'll work on ways to add museums to groups, and make sure that searches and some listing pages can show everything within a group: for example, if we have multiple museums in the Tate system, the page for the group shows all art for the group, but the pages for individual museums (Tate Liverpool for instance) shows only the works for the individual museum.

After all of that, I think we'll be done with museums for a while.

Thanks,
Chris

71 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-24 13:31:51)

New bug: some museums are displayed in blank in the dropdown menu of the edit page of an artwork.

Museums are still displayed under their older names in this dropdown menu.

Just fixed the dropdown list for editing artworks.

Now it works. Both names are listed in the dropdown menu. So it will reduce the risk of duplication. Well done.

Chris,
It seems that all the museums have their language set on English. Could you replace it by the language of the country (ie. Italian for museums in Italy, idem for France, and Germany). However, don't do that for Spanish Museums (some of them are Catalan and Basque).
Thanks.

I knew we'd have some work ahead in getting the correct languages in, and that it wouldn't be so simple as to code in one language per country. But I'm happy to do the ones which are generally consistent - French for Frances, Italian for Italy, German for Germany.