Re: bugs with museums

On the subject of 'National Trust' I have transferred two entries from 'Ascott House, Wing, near Leighton Buzzard, Bucks' to the general National Trust entry but highlighting where the artworks are located.

Future National Trust entries should be allocated under the generic title and not be given a new 'museum' entry.  Waddesden Manor is one exception.

The artworks I have transferred are by Isaac van Ostade:

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=114891
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=114889

One of the above works is at Polesden Lacey (not Ascott House).

I have closed the museum entry for Broughton House (National Trust for Scotland) and transferred the one artwork to the general 'National Trust for Scotland', which is better.  All future entries for artworks that belong in either the National Trust (England) or the National Trust (Scotland) should be entered under these titles, with the description of where they are located.

This will avoid opening numerous new National Trust properties that maybe have only a couple of artworks.

Hi Graham,
I'm going to do the same for churches. I will create general categories for churches in each country ("French churches", "German churches", etc.) and special entries when there are more than two artworks hosted in the church (Notre-Dame de Paris for instance). Each artworks linked with these general categories will have a specified text about the precise location.

In the future, it will be interesting to extend the searching feature to all the text written in textboxes, not only museums, names of artists and artworks.
Josselin

I have transferred artworks from Oxford University Christ Church (now closed) to University of Oxford - Colleges, in keeping with other formulas for university collections.

Leighton House has been deleted and the 3 artworks transferred to Civic Collections - UK.  Leighton House is administered by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and therefore comes under the Civic Collections category.

Just wondering why the National Portrait Gallery in London was relocated by somebody to DC?
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=3

Irene wrote:

Just wondering why the National Portrait Gallery in London was relocated by somebody to DC?

There is a bug with Google, which cannot find the correct address in London and automatically gives the Washington address of the American National Portrait Gallery.
I put instead the address of the National Gallery, which is located at the same place in London, but the bug still needs to be fixed.

I have deleted 'Hayward Gallery' (which had one work allocated).  This gallery is administered by the Arts Council of Great Britain and only displays exhibitions of loaned works.  The one artwork has been transferred to a new museum entry, Arts Council, UK (that has a large collection)

Josselin wrote:
Irene wrote:

There is a bug with Google, which cannot find the correct address in London and automatically gives the Washington address of the American National Portrait Gallery.
I put instead the address of the National Gallery, which is located at the same place in London, but the bug still needs to be fixed.

It looks okay to me.  I added London in the title (as I tend to do with many 'obscure' museums), to differentiate it from the Washington DC gallery.

Thanx smile
It used to have 'London' in the title before but somebody for some unknown reason removed it

Hi Irene:

Just to let you know in case you are not aware but there is a museum entry for National Trust and for National Trust for Scotland.  Because there are so many NT properties, and many have just one or two  works of art (and several have only 'after', follower' etc), I put all NT entries under either National Trust or National Trust for Scotland and then in the description add:  'National Trust at (address), so that the viewer knows its whereabouts. 

The one NT property that is separate is Waddesden Manor (NT) as this existed with a large number of artworks and I thought it was importatnt enough to have its own entry.

Graham

38 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-01-15 04:57:57)

Chris,

I often run into problems when attempting to change/improve a museum title page (the name and location for example).  Often it will not accept the changes and reverts to its original entry.   

I have tried to change the entry for Chequers (Wycombe, Buckinghamshire) and explain its existence in more detail in the window but it will not accept the information.  Chequers is known as the Chequers Trust and is at Chequers Court.  The paintings are not in public ownership and it is not open to the general public (it is the country home of the Prime Minister).  But the trustees want the works of art to be made available on the website for the benefit of academic awareness (text taken from the BBC website).

I then opened a new museum entry with an improved title (which it accepted).  There are only 4 works that can be transferred across.  However, it refuses to accept the description about the Trust.  The original description said simply that it is the home of the Prime Minister.  But it is important to state that it is NOT open to the public, although we can display images of the paintings.

The text I want to add in the description is:

' The paintings at Chequers Court are not in public ownership;  the Trustees are a private institution.  However the paintings are included in the public domain for the benefit of academic awareness.  Chequers Court is the country home of the Prime Minister and is not open to the public'

It does not allow me to enter this important information.

Perhaps you could have a look at this and rectify if possible the failure of this function.

Hello Graham,
     I need to work with the Google maps piece again. That's what's causing nearly all of the problems with the page. It's a complicated piece of code, but I'd hate to remove it altogether because it's so nice having the maps done automatically.

Let me make this my focus for the next few days. I'll use your example above as a test case.

Thanks for being patient,
Chris

Chris, thanks for getting back so soon.  My problem has been solved (I double clicked on 'submit' instead of one click).  So perhaps this explains it.  Probably no need to take further action unless I let you know?

There is still a problem but not a major one.  The classic case I identified was for the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo.  For completeness, I wanted to add - Buffalo in the title page so that one knows where the museum is located.  I realise one can open up the museum page to find out.  However most people will not know that the Albright-Knox is in Buffalo, NY.

It does not accept my edit of simply adding - Buffalo (for completeness), despite the Google map appearing, which is the correct address, also the address is shown.  This is the example you might wish to check out.

But it is not an important issue and shouldn't take priority over other more pressing matters.

1) If i want to add a new artwork and choose 'Search all owners', than the resulting Ajax-List is unsorted. Thats not nice

2) If i want to edit the museum entry 'Royal Collection' (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/edit.php?mid=505) and add the web address w w w .royalcollection.org.uk and click 'Submit', then there is a strange behavior. He put in a Thailand Address in the Location-Address-Field and leave the page unchanged !?

43 (edited by Josselin 2014-01-18 04:29:28)

kkvk wrote:

1) If i want to add a new artwork and choose 'Search all owners', than the resulting Ajax-List is unsorted. Thats not nice

2) If i want to edit the museum entry 'Royal Collection' (http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/edit.php?mid=505) and add the web address w w w .royalcollection.org.uk and click 'Submit', then there is a strange behavior. He put in a Thailand Address in the Location-Address-Field and leave the page unchanged !?

I think this is because the 'Royal collection' is not really a museum, but a 'collection' displayed in several castles owned by the royal family. So Google Maps cannot find it.

Josselin wrote:

I think this is because the 'Royal collection' is not really a museum, but a 'collection' displayed in several castles owned by the royal family. So Google Maps cannot find it.

Ok. If it is possible, the other attributes, like the web address, should still be editable.

"Private collection" is located in Nantes, France, and I cannot edit: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=1

46 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-02-25 12:47:43)

Josselin wrote:
kkvk wrote:

I know a little about the Royal Collection.  The correct collective title is the Royal Collection Trust.  It administers the entire royal collection in the United Kingdom.  I have added numerous works of art to the several locations, but, in the case of Buckingham Palace and Windsor, it is often guesswork.  The Trust does not indicate where an artwork is located .  Some works of art are moved from location to location depending on the circumstances. One doesn't always know whether an artwork is located permanently at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle (the two main depositories) or if it is moved.  A foreign State Visit might require works of relevance to be moved for that occasion. Works also go on display at The Queen's Gallery in London.

Chris

There is a problem with some 'museum' entries.  If a museum is deleted - for example the name changes - from the museums list (this happens if all artworks are transferred elsewhere), the former museum name still appears in the dropdown list.  This can be confusing for people who are unaware of the correct name or new name for the museum. 

Although the former museum entry does not appear in the alphabetical listing, once someone enters a work in the same museum entry in the dropdown list, the former museum is reinstated in the alpha listing.

There are two examples of museum names I have changed.  These are:

National Museums and Galleries of Wales > Amgueddfa Cymru (National Museum of Wales) - Cardiff

Norwich Museum and Art Gallery >Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery

Can you delete the old titles from the dropdown list to prevent people from entering works in the former museum names?

Thanks

I have renamed the Royal Collections as per:-

Royal Collection Trust (UK) - Buckingham Palace

The same for the other holders:  Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, St James's Palace.

Not sure if this addresses the Google query stated above.

Empty museum to delete or replace:
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=1554

The Staatliche Museen Kassel is the administrative title for a collection of museums.  Old master works have been transferred to its preferable title of Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel (in the same format as that in Dresden). 

Many of the works entered under the Kassel museum belong to the Gemaldegalerie Berlin and were inadvertently placed in Kassel.  I believe the confusion was due to the same name (Staatliche Museen etc). These have now been transferred to Berlin.

All future old master paintings for Kassel should be entered under Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister - Kassel. 

19th century works in Kassel should be placed in the Neue Galerie - Kassel.