1 (edited by Josselin 2014-01-27 19:25:14)

Topic: Museum properties

Chris,

I think you should add a box for alternative names of museums - as you did for artworks - in order to enter both the original name and the translation in English. It would be especially useful for museums of Eastern Europe, where languages are very different from English. For example, the National Gallery of Hungary is named "Magyar Nemzeti Galéria" in Hungarian - not easy to guess at first sight!

Josselin

Re: Museum properties

Hello Josselin,
     Once I finish the task of artist qualifiers, I plan to take a look at museums. Here's a general overview.

I. Allow museums to be grouped.
We need a way to put many locations/museums into a larger group, such as the Berlin State Museums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_State_Museums), or the UK National Trust. This means pages to create museum groups, pages to add museums into groups, adding museum groups to search, and thinking about how museum groups might be displayed in list pages.

II. Add more names for museums
At the least, I think we need to change museum/location names to allow "Name in the local language" and "Name in English". While we're at it, we should consider having some sorting names too, so that the Musée d'Orsay could be have the following:

Local name: Musée d'Orsay
Name in English: Museum of Orsay
Sorting name (English only?): Orsay, Museum of

Clearly there's a bit of work there. Also, we have again the question we'll have everywhere we create multiple names or aliases - do we enter the museum more than once in lists, under each name?

That's my current thinking, and hopefully I will get to it soon.

3 (edited by Josselin 2014-02-05 18:52:02)

Maybe you should add textboxes for the "birth date" of a museum and its status (state-funded, city-funded, private-for-profit, not-for-profit, etc.).

4 (edited by Josselin 2014-06-22 19:50:35)

I'm wondering what we should do with museums which doesn't exist anymore. As old records will still mention them, maybe we should keep a track of them in order to avoid any confusion for users or mistake by members.
It could be done with the "museum status" I mentioned above. One option would be "closed" or "destroyed" and we wouldn't be able to add pictures to this museum.
The Scheringa Museum voor Realisme is an example of a closed museum: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=1584