Topic: Current task: Admin portal for superusers

Hello all,
    My current major task is to create an administrative "portal" for Superusers. This will grow over time to give a small group of users special "powers" to administer the site.

Once the basic page is working, I'll add some tools for removing duplicate artworks, duplicate people, and duplicate museums.

If you have ideas for other things a Superuser should be able to do, let me know in the replies.

Thanks,
Chris

2 (edited by Josselin 2013-09-18 17:58:43)

Re: Current task: Admin portal for superusers

Hello Chris,

Maybe you can add the right to cancel art movement labels for an artist (I can only check boxes for art movement, but it is impossible to cancel), as well as for portraits connected with artists (there are some errors and I cannot remove them).

Josselin

3 (edited by Josselin 2013-09-22 18:25:24)

It is not really a right to do something, but I'd like to have a list of everything I have uploaded, by artist, museum and movement, with a sorting tool. I can only see it by pictures, I would like to have the names only to make it easier for me to search for something I put online earlier.
Josselin

Chris,

I think superusers should have rights in the exhibition feature, especially the possibility to remove artworks linked with an exhibition (when duplicates are spotted).

Josselin

Maybe superusers should also have the possibility to add and remove tags.

Hello Josselin,
     I think you are correct about all of those functions being available to superusers. The main thing that makes it slow is that I also want the ability to log and reverse any actions. If we ever had an "evil" superuser, I want protection so they can't ruin the site! It's not a real worry, but I should do it as part of each superuser page or else I'll never get around to it later.

- Chris

Hello Chris,

Can't you add a code similar to Wikipedia? I mean they have a very efficient system for storing older versions of a text and displaying any change done on a page. An example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit … =583813594
It is therefore very easy to revert any malicious behaviour on the site.

This system could also give credit to members who do a quiet work of adding and editing additional information on artwork and artist pages. As for me, I wrote several small biographies but nobody knows that I am the author. With a Wikipedia-like system it would appear on the history page of each artist for whom I wrote the text.

Josselin

8 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-01-14 09:55:38)

Chris

Apologies for being late in response.  I am not sure how you would define a 'superuser' necessarily, unless it is simply on the number of artworks loaded (which I don't think is a good idea).  Since I joined I have been passionate about getting a) information correct and b) ensuring that as much info and facts are loaded into the system as is known.  I do spend some time adding facts to existing pages.  I find that a lot of information is missing and that is a pity, if we are to show that this is a responsible website.  One of my irking complaints is that some users do not put in the size of works (after all, you provide both cms and ins for this facility).  All museum websites give dimensions, so it is really no excuse! To understand a work of art properly, one needs to know its overall size.  This is perhaps not so important with copyright images as these are small but one can still include the size.

Another irritating complaint I have is that there are a great number of works that go into the 'unknown' category.  But in many cases, the existence of these is known and some simple research will most probably uncover the details.  I spend some time also in filling in either the 'whereabouts unknown' entries and also quite a few 'private' entries.  It seems that if an uploader doesn't know where the artwork is they place it under 'private'!  This is at least better than 'unknown'.

Anyway - enough of my moans!

A superuser could also have the ability to delete entries in the dropdown list of, for example, museums.  As Josselin pointed out, there are a number of museum entries that have become redundant.  I find that the title disappears from the main index but is extant in the dropdown list.  This is confusing for uploaders who will see a listing and put the work in question under that title which is in fact non-extant.  I have recently removed 'National Museums of Liverpool' and moved the five artworks to their respective museums (Walker Art Gallery and Lady Lever):  These already existed with a large number of works so it was a duplication.  But the dropdown list will still show 'National Museums of Liverpool' and this will be confusing for uploaders.

By allowing a 'superuser' to have this ability, will also free you from having to spend your precious time.

Additons and changes to an artpage should also be recorded (as you say for any mistakes or malicious use).

Kohn1fox