Topic: Bugs with the website

Hello Chris,

Just to say that the blog is no longer working since the move to the new server. It displays 'Error establishing a database connection'.
Josselin

Re: Bugs with the website

Chris,

It seems that the search system does not like when I use a ' in a query. It displays this:

(Note: This error has been fixed. Error message from original post removed, since it contained details of the database structure - CMM)

Chris

As Josselin mentioned earlier, some downloads are too big for the system and it rejects them.  This is the case with the Metropolitan works, which can be increased in size for better viewing.  However, in many cases the size is impractical and far too large, even when it works on the database.  Any way to create parameters for a screen shot size instead of the magnified image (hope I've explained clearly!)

Graham

kohn1fox wrote:

Chris

As Josselin mentioned earlier, some downloads are too big for the system and it rejects them.  This is the case with the Metropolitan works, which can be increased in size for better viewing.  However, in many cases the size is impractical and far too large, even when it works on the database.  Any way to create parameters for a screen shot size instead of the magnified image (hope I've explained clearly!)

Graham

Hello Graham,
Images from the Met (as well as from the Google Art Project) are among the finest on the Web, but they can not be uploaded here. You need to use a software to reduce the size (2000 pixels wide at max); Microsoft Picture Manager or Picasa have a feature for this task (I prefer the first one).
It would be a shame not to use the beautiful images from this museum, so I advise you to do the same.

Josselin

5 (edited by Josselin 2013-09-23 11:17:15)

Chris,

There is a bug in the 'What's new?' page. A work uploaded by Irene is displayed in full-size instead of a thumbnail. It is the same in its detailed page.
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=115545

Josselin

Josselin wrote:

Chris,

There is a bug in the 'What's new?' page. A work uploaded by Irene is displayed in full-size instead of a thumbnail. It is the same in its detailed page.
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=115545

Josselin

A similar bug occurred with this artwork: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=116839
for which another image (I think uploaded by rocsdad) is displayed in full-size in lists.
Example here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/list.p … mp;fa=1315

Josselin

Josselin wrote:
kohn1fox wrote:

Chris

Graham

Hello Graham,
Images from the Met (as well as from the Google Art Project) are among the finest on the Web, but they can not be uploaded here. You need to use a software to reduce the size (2000 pixels wide at max); Microsoft Picture Manager or Picasa have a feature for this task (I prefer the first one).
It would be a shame not to use the beautiful images from this museum, so I advise you to do the same.

Josselin

I don't know how to do this.  Do I need to download Microsolft Picture Manager and use this tool?

Josselin,  I have managed to break the code thanks to you.  I have entered some art works from the Met.  Microsoft Picture Manager doesn't seem to work when reducing the image by percentage but it works with selecting a page size in kbs/pixels.

9 (edited by Josselin 2013-10-18 12:28:58)

kohn1fox wrote:

Josselin,  I have managed to break the code thanks to you.  I have entered some art works from the Met.  Microsoft Picture Manager doesn't seem to work when reducing the image by percentage but it works with selecting a page size in kbs/pixels.

When reducing the size by percentage, you need to click on the OK button at the bottom right, then save. I have seen that you created works of about 1000 pixels wide; I think you can go up to 2000 pix. This is what I do, but it is longer to upload. The size limit is about 2400pix wide on the largest side of the image, and 3Mb.

You can also "crop" the borders of the image when a dark background can be seen behind it.

Hello Josselin:

There is a problem with the webpage for your entry as follows:

JMW Turner:  'Rye, Sussex'  (National Galleries of Scotland - Edinbuirgh)

It shows a full screen for another artwork and the page is distorted (both under the artist and the museum).  I cannot locate the 'edit' to remove the image and thereby put the page back to normality.  Can you find a way?  If not perhaps Chris can reposition the page.

Thanks,

Graham

kohn1fox wrote:

Hello Josselin:

It shows a full screen for another artwork and the page is distorted (both under the artist and the museum).  I cannot locate the 'edit' to remove the image and thereby put the page back to normality.  Can you find a way?  If not perhaps Chris can reposition the page.

Thanks,

Graham

Yes, I spotted the bug above. I left it to allow Chris to see and correct it.
It is very strange that it is displayed normally here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=116839

Josselin.

Josselin wrote:
kohn1fox wrote:

Hello Josselin:

Thanks,

Graham

Yes, I spotted the bug above. I left it to allow Chris to see and correct it.
It is very strange that it is displayed normally here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=116839

Josselin.

Yes, I noticed that.  The page slips to the correct Turner work.

I wonder whether replacing the correct Turner image and details with another different work entirely would automatically cancel the enlarged 'imposter' work. This might then aline the other paintings on that page?  If so, then the original work could be reinstated?

kohn1fox wrote:

Yes, I noticed that.  The page slips to the correct Turner work.

I wonder whether replacing the correct Turner image and details with another different work entirely would automatically cancel the enlarged 'imposter' work. This might then aline the other paintings on that page?  If so, then the original work could be reinstated?

I already fixed the bug when it happened with other works I uploaded by replacing the image with the same picture. As I said, I just keep it for example.
Maybe this bug occurs when two uploaders post an artwork at the very same moment.

Josselin

This website appears to be playing up today due to the poor performance of the server.  I'm not sure if Chris is still around since he has been quiet for so long.  But I am losing patience somewhat.

I have a lot of other things to do but was only contributing here since it gives me some pleasure.  The website seems to be much in favour of new and relatively unknown works/artists and not strong in the old masters, which I was wanting to supplement. 

I am not quite sure what the purpose of this website is but perhaps someone can explain?  It seems to proliferate in modern works (quantity as opposed to quality) but maybe I'm mistaken?

15 (edited by Josselin 2013-11-01 12:20:43)

Well, as far as I am concerned, I try to build up online catalogues raisonnés for artists. The way artworks and artists are displayed is the best I have found on the Internet. The problem with old masters is that most of them were uploaded years ago and the pictures now look ugly.
Nevertheless, Dutch Golden Age and Rococo pages are starting to look interesting.

Yes I thought the displays were good and I spend a good deal of my time on this website replacing images with superior images.  I also spend a good deal of time either correcting mistakes or filling in facts that have been left out.  Perhaps I have just been unlucky with my choices.