Topic: Tags

Hello Chris,
Can you add some new tags because I find the available list too restricted? I think it could be relevant to specify at first the general theme of the painting before going into details of the animals depicted.
So we would have these categories:
Mythology/religion/allegory
History
Still-life
Landscape/Seascape
Portrait
Genre scene
Non-figurative

I also think that you should merge Greek and Roman gods as there is not a big difference between them, Aphrodite and Venus are depicted in the same way.

Re: Tags

Hello Josselin,
    You are right about the need for those tags which indicate a "genre" of artwork. I have been thinking about ways to do this.

In my opinion, a "tag" should be a pretty specific thing, rather than a broad category. I feel that these "genres" are usually used in two ways - talking about groups of paintings for an artist (David was a "history painter" or John Everett Millais moving into a phase where he did "portraits"), or in searching ("show me 19th century landscapes by German painters").

I had been shying away from broad groupings like that as tags, but having multiple systems is confusing, so maybe it is better to have all of these things as tags.

I'll add most of these as-is, under a tag category of "Genre". Can you explain what you mean by "non-figurative"?

Thanks,
Chris

3 (edited by Josselin 2013-07-07 10:10:22)

Ok I see your point on tags. By non-figurative, I meant abstract art.
Are you considering merging Greek and Roman Gods?

Hello Chris,
There are several bugs when adding new tags, you should check the feature.

Josselin

Thanks Josselin,
      I'm still very deeply involved in getting the new server running smoothly. Once that eases a bit, I know that there are a lot of things you have brought up that need attention. I'll let you know when I get back to them.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris,
The tagging system does not work for art genres - I just have the category 'art genre' and cannot choose one (landscape, still life..).

Moreover, I think that you could add geographical tags, at least for the main important cities or monuments (Venice, Rome, Paris, the Grand Canal, the Colosseum...).

I also write again my recommendation to merge Greek and Roman mythologies.

Josselin