Topic: Issue with entering text containing "special characters"

I have found a new bug due to our server upgrade.

We use a web programming language called PHP, and in the new version we recently installed, they changed the way it handles text (for inserting into the database) that has "special characters". I don't have the whole list of special characters, but the most common one would be a single quote or apostrophe --> '

Right now, you may be running into issues where artwork titles, names, or other descriptions containing an apostrophe do not work. I'm working to fix it.

If you find other issues or have questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

2 (edited by kohn1fox 2013-08-21 06:25:46)

Re: Issue with entering text containing "special characters"

Chris

I have had some trouble entering a new work (sent you an email about it).  I will try again without using brackets in the title, as this might have been the cause of no success. I will advise outcome.

Graham

I have played around with the title.  Brackets are okay but as you have said, not an apostrophe!

Thanks, Graham. I'm officially "on the clock" for work, so will look at it more (including your e-mail) tonight. Feel free to keep sending me any examples or information you run across, though - including screenshots if you can.

- Chris

Ok, I was able to test my fix on one single field - the main title when editing an artwork. Now you should be able successfully to edit the title to add an apostrophe. I was able to do it with the de la Tour you mentioned in your e-mail: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?id=111442.

Please note that this is just a single "proof" test - I have only fixed it for the main title, and only on the edit page, not any of the others. Sadly, to fix this issue everywhere, I will have to touch every text field in every script. :-(

But if it's working for you, I'll know it's the solution, and I can get to work on putting it in everywhere.

Thanks,
Chris