1 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-09 18:24:19)

Topic: Artwork properties

I think the following mediums should be added to the current list:' oil on copper' and 'oil on paper'.

I am also wondering how we should enter artworks for which the medium has been changed. For instance, an oil painting on canvas transferred on panel can either be sorted under 'oil on canvas' or on 'panel'. Which one is correct, the original or the current state?

Josselin

Re: Artwork properties

Josselin wrote:

I think the following mediums should be added to the current list:' oil on copper' and 'oil on paper'.

I am also wondering how we should enter artworks for which the medium has been changed. For instance, an oil painting on canvas transferred on panel can either be sorted under 'oil on canvas' or on 'panel'. Which one is correct, the original or the current state?

Josselin

When there has been a change of medium (common in many works), I tend to enter simply 'painting' and then expand on the process in the sub-window.  This works.

I agree that 'oil on copper' could be added.  But I have hitherto entered as a 'painting' with the extra notes alongside.

Hey there,
    I just added both "oil on copper" and "oil on paper" to the list.

In the future I want to split this field so that it's two separate fields:
1. Media:   This would be "Painting - oil" for example
2. Support: This would be "paper," "Metal - copper," "Wood panel," etc.

This is in line with how most museums do it, fits with the Getty Categories for the Description of Works of Art (CDWA - http://www.getty.edu/research/publicati … als.html), and will keep us from making the list uncomfortably long.

Sculptures should have a third dimension field for depth.

Agreed on sculptures; I'll get a "depth" field in sometime soon.

On the subject of sculptures, we should have another material entry for 'terracotta' which is missing.  Numerous exhibits are made in terracotta.

kohn1fox wrote:

On the subject of sculptures, we should have another material entry for 'terracotta' which is missing.  Numerous exhibits are made in terracotta.

In addition we should add 'plaster' to the list.

Josselin and Graham,
     I'm keen to complete our "overhaul" of museums/locations while we're all fresh on the discussions, and then I can get some clear space to make sculpture work better on the site. I'd rather go ahead and re-work how materials and methods are displayed now (my idea about "Media and support" above), instead of adding on to the current system which will be replaced anyway.

My advice is to wait a couple of weeks before digging into sculpture.

9 (edited by Josselin 2014-03-30 11:11:07)

@Graham,
When several artworks are similar, maybe you should write some additional information into brackets to distinguish the different versions. I add either the location (Londres, Prado...), or the size (large or small version), or the date (first, second... version). I also add (study) at the end of title for sketches.
Examples: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/search.php … Saints+Day
http://www.the-athenaeum.org/search.php … e+Alps+%28

10 (edited by Josselin 2014-05-09 12:30:13)

I think we should be able to mention works which are still in situ - ie. they have been in the museum since their creation and were designed for the decoration of the building.

I'm not sure how best to enter a monotype.  I've used "painting" and described it as a monotype, but it is really more of a print than a painting, and the general term "print" isn't an option. If we could select "print" it could be used for monotypes, monoprints, woodcuts, linocuts, collographs, etc.

Hello smallberries - I added the five types of prints you mention above, and a general "Print" category as well. I have a longer term plan to revamp how materials are represented, but for now I hope this helps. Please let me know is you need more categories in the "medium" field.

- Chris

As I suggested a few weeks back, it would be useful if Chris could add under sculpture (materials) - plaster and terracotta (which is a type of fired clay). I am currently using 'other'.  Thanks.

Can we say that acrylic is a kind of watercolour? Otherwise this medium has to be added to the list.