Re: bugs with museums

Chris,
Two different "private collection" are listed in the dropdown menu, including one located in "Nantes - France". You should merge them.

Fixed the "private collection" bug on the artwork Add and Edit pages. Do you see it anywhere else?

78 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-03-25 14:21:23)

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to create the drop down list of museums when entering a work instead of tapping in the name, which is terribly slow (even more so since your improvement in the museum titles).

I would prefer to select the museum name from the drop down list, much in the same way as that for the medium.

Unfortunately Graham, I don't know of a way to make this much faster at the moment. On my machine, it does take up to three or four seconds for typing in the museum search before it gives me some results. However, using the dropdown list for almost 2,000 entries was a lot slower in scrolling up and down, plus it didn't help you to find a museum if it was sorted somewhere unexpected. I think this is the best solution we have for now.

Keep in mind that there is also the list of suggested museums. If you are working with an artist (the most common case), it shows you the main museums with that artists's works, museums in the artist's birth country, and the last 20 museums you interacted with. I don't have statistics, but it is hoped that much of the time the suggested museums will have the one you want, without having to do the search at all.

This is a longstanding computing challenge for all web sites - how to quickly sort through many entries. Places like Google solve it by having many hundreds or even thousands of servers. Our solution relies on the user's computer to do the sorting ("client side"), which at least means that as browsers improve and computers speed up, the sorting will slowly get faster...

chris_mccormick wrote:

Keep in mind that there is also the list of suggested museums. If you are working with an artist (the most common case), it shows you the main museums with that artists's works, museums in the artist's birth country, and the last 20 museums you interacted with. I don't have statistics, but it is hoped that much of the time the suggested museums will have the one you want, without having to do the search at all.

This feature has never worked for me (I use Firefox). sad
I would be grateful if you could fix it because the museum field is the longest to fill.

@Graham,

I usually write the first letters of the museum in another textbox on the page, then I cut & paste them in the museum field. It is usually faster than waiting for it to find. I also try to upload several artworks from the same museum at the same time, so I can copy-paste the museum in several tabs and spare time.

chris_mccormick wrote:

Fixed the "private collection" bug on the artwork Add and Edit pages. Do you see it anywhere else?

Fixed, thanks. I didn't find it anywhere else.

Josselin, can you explain more about the Suggested museums feature not working? Do you mean that when you click the "Pick from suggested owners" bar, it doesn't expand? What about the "Your most recent uploads" bar - does that work? Or is it some other way that it's broken?

I alternate between Firefox and Chrome most of the time, and those expanding bars have always worked for me.

I'm running Firefox version 27.0.1; what version are you running (go to Firefox, then About in the menu)?

I can expand the "Pick from suggested owners" bar, but nothing happens when I submit the page (it displays unknown owner).
I also use Firefox 27.0.1

Josselin wrote:

Thanks Chris, it looks better now.

I still found a new bug: the name of a newly created museum doesn't appear in the artwork description and in "the what's new?" page.
Example here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/detail.php?ID=137168
The museum is there: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/sources/detail.php?id=2674

The problem still happens in the 'art' tab on the artist page, see for example here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/people/detail.php?id=6238

chris_mccormick wrote:

Unfortunately Graham, I don't know of a way to make this much faster at the moment. On my machine, it does take up to three or four seconds for typing in the museum search before it gives me some results. However, using the dropdown list for almost 2,000 entries was a lot slower in scrolling up and down, plus it didn't help you to find a museum if it was sorted somewhere unexpected. I think this is the best solution we have for now.

This is a longstanding computing challenge for all web sites - how to quickly sort through many entries. Places like Google solve it by having many hundreds or even thousands of servers. Our solution relies on the user's computer to do the sorting ("client side"), which at least means that as browsers improve and computers speed up, the sorting will slowly get faster...

Thanks for the explanation.  I mentioned this fact because when editing an entry the dropdown list of museums appears and I can generally locate much more quickly, but not really a problem just a slight 'irritant'!

86 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-03-26 11:21:29)

On the above subject:  I have tried the list of suggested museums but when I highlight a museum it doesn't appear in the window.  In the end I have to abandon that way and enter the name manually.  Not sure if I am using the 'suggested' list correctly but it does seem to denote where to make a selection.

Josselin/Chris,

I am not sure what the point of the suggested museums listing is when wanting to enter a museum for an artwork.  I have tried several times to key in one of the museums but it doesn't work.  Equally I cannot 'cut & paste' - the window just resorts to 'unknown'.  It appears to be of no use whatsoever.

Chris,
Could you disable the Google Maps feature from all the fields in the form but the address textbox? Currently, there are several bugs, sometimes it doesn't accept to change the museum name, or it misunderstands the location (for example by displaying an address in a different country).
The best solution would be to allow the automatic search in the "Address field" only.
Thanks.

Hello Graham and Josselin,

1. I believe I've now removed all map-checking on the name field, so it will only check the address field. Please let me know if the form seems to be checking the name fields, but that should be gone.

2. Regarding the "Suggested museums" list, that's supposed to solve Graham's problem of how slow it is to look up museums. It's using some "guesses" to give you a quick visual list of "most likely" museums, so you don't have to use the search/list box at all. If the museum you need is one of the listed ones, it would be faster than searching or looking through a list, yes?

You are supposed to click the little circle next to a suggested museum (if you see the one you want on the list), and then not use the main museum search box at all, and then submit the form. The form would use the museum from your selection in the Suggested box, INSTEAD of using the search box. If doing it that way isn't working, we have a bug I need to fix.

I've been very busy with work and life over the last two days, so I haven't been able to isolate and fix the bug. But I will try to get to it tonight my time.

Chris,

Name updates done for museums aren't displayed in this list: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/nations/detail.php?id=88
(see the museums are still spelled Musee, without accent, despite your change.)

The Google Maps feature works better now. Thanks.

Chris

I've tried again with the suggested list of museums, by highlighting the museum but it doesn't migrate to the art page when submitting (I tried it with the Louvre).  The principle sounds good (I though one highlighted the 'owner' and then it would appear in the owner's window).

Perhaps you could have a look at this bug when you have time.  It is a useful tool and often much quicker than typing in the name of the museum.

Hello Josselin and Graham,
    I fixed the display of museums on nation pages, and also added the city and a direct link to the artwork lists. Now it's easier to get to artworks from the nation page: "What museums and art are in Germany?" --> Go to Germany page --> Go to Art tab --> Pick a museum and go directly to its art list.

I still haven't looked at the Suggested Owners in the art add/edit pages. I hope to do that tonight. I think I know what the bug is, so hopefully it won't be hard to fix.

Thanks for being patient!

- Chris

Chris,
The recent name updates of museums aren't displayed in the 'Art' tab on artist pages. 
Example here: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/people/detail.php?id=6161

There was a duplication of museums:  De mestag Collectie (The Hague) and Museum Mestag (The Hague).  I have transferred the one artwork from Museum Mestag to De Mestag Collectie - The Hague.

Museum Mestag entry in the dropdown listing needs to be removed.

95 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-04-05 10:36:54)

Chris

Unable to insert a new museum record, 'Bank of England Museum - London'.

Don't know why it fails to accept it.  Have entered all the appropriate information and tried different names (Bank of England - London) and entered primary title and title for sorting. 

Any idea?

96 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-04-08 03:40:00)

To Schroetterjoseph

It is best not to place works of art under Staatliche Museen zu Berlin as this is an organisation that administers 17 museums, research institutes and libraries throughout Berlin.  Old master works of art should be entered under Gemaldegalerie Berlin, for which there is a museum entry.

I have transferred those I come across but there are still 169 works under the 'collective' title of Staatliche so unless an uploader takes this into account it will remain indecisive as to where the artwork is actually housed.

One cannot find the Staatliches zu Berlin museum in that city because it doesn't exist as a physical museum site.

MAJOR FAILURE IN THIS SYSTEM.  Unable now to create a new museum record.  This is the second attempt made but the system fails.

kohn1fox wrote:

MAJOR FAILURE IN THIS SYSTEM.  Unable now to create a new museum record.  This is the second attempt made but the system fails.

Grateful Chris if you could check.  I have tried to create 'Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts (University of East Anglia) - Norwich'  but it doesn't accept this title, nor abbreviated titles.  Have checked but cannot find this 'museum' exists.  There are some important modern works housed there.

My earlier attempt to open a new museum record was for 'Bank of England Collection - London'.  That didn't work either.

99 (edited by kohn1fox 2014-04-13 01:30:12)

This is the message received after several attempts at opening a new museum:

[Code redacted for security reasons - CMM]

Any suggestions?

CMM: Fixed on May 16

100 (edited by Josselin 2014-04-13 08:42:33)

kohn1fox wrote:

This is the message received after several attempts at opening a new museum:

[Code redacted for security reasons - CMM]

Any suggestions?

It works for me now. Try again!